Tissue Tape Explained

Pin It!


I have gotten lots of questions on what exactly Tissue Tape is and how I use it.  Let me first show you this awesome way that I store my tissue tape.  I started with a paper towel holder that I found at TJMaxx.  The top flourish unscrews to have access to the long metal pole.  I then found some awesome vintage receipt holders on Ebay and Etsy.  I used Glue N' Seal from Inksenntials to affix the receipt holders to the base of the paper towel holders.  That way I can move my collection of tissue tapes and washi tapes around my room to wherever I am working.  I love it!  I am going to keep looking for 2 more of the receipt holders.  I want to keep a space free so I can access the bottom tapes on the long rod without having to remove them.  


Now that I have them perfectly stored what to do with them...  You use them any way you use Washi tape but tissue tape has some really awesome characteristics.  They are slightly transparent so you can layer them over prints or color and it will show through.  I like to color mine with my Distress Inks. 


I tried to color the tissue tape with Distress Stain but it beaded up on the top and didn't take to the tissue like the Distress Ink does.  After blasting with the heat gun it did keep some of the color and gave it a more distressed blotchy color, I kind of like it but not for all projects.


My next one, I added Distress in using the applicator.  This give a light hint of color.  I was using the dark Aged Mahogany and the color was nice and subtle.


The third piece of tissue tape I used the Distress Ink pad directly on the tissue tape for the true color of the Aged Mahogany!  This is by far my favorite!  I love the deep rich color!    


This close up pic you can see the differences of the 3 techniques for adding color to your tissue using the same color but different methods of achieving the application.


I couldn't let this beautiful tape go to waste so I made a little notebook with it.  I layered the tissues on the bottom and created a rosette by simply pleating the tissue tape and adding a button to the center. 
Here are a couple other posts using Tissue Tape



9 comments:

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM  

Great idea, love it.

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM  

Your storage idea is so cool looking! Love that vintage look. I also have a zillion washi tapes (and all the T!m tapes) and keep them in a plastic storage drawer unit.

I've colored the tissue tape with Distress Ink for a Configurations box, but found the ink tended to rub off when handled. I solved the problem with a spray sealer (Krylon Matte Finish). You might want to check to see if the ink will rub off, just in case. (It doesn't all come off, but where you handle it will be lighter.)

Melody (lacyquilter) February 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM  

Great storage idea. So far I only have 2 rolls, not that I don't want more. lol

Bunnyfreak February 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM  

Thanks for the info on coloring the tape.

Nancy Walker February 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

You have great storage ideas! Now if I just had an empty counter or desktop for all these great ideas!

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM  

cool! I have one of the antique receipt thingys! what a great idea! TFS!

andizee February 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM  

Gr8idea I have mine in a crystsl cracker tray...like one that holds ritz cracker perfectly. Your idea is better cause it holds more

Sandy August 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM  

what is tissue tape & who sekks it ? Tks
Sandy
purusty@gmail.com

GrandmaWanda November 2, 2015 at 10:56 PM  

I found stainless steel receipt holders at Goodwill for .50 each. I drilled 4 holes in a stained piece of wood for each holder, then glued the 4 feet on the receipt holders in the holes. I now have storage for 4 large spools of thread, readily available, on the board. Could be used to hold ribbon or other craft items. The rubber tips were still on so no problem with getting stabbed fingers. I am so glad to see others repurpose items. Love all your ideas.

Post a Comment

If you have a question please leave your email so I can respond, Thank You :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab My Button


Contact Me At

Archives

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected