1st time camping in 15 years!

Pin It!



This weekend my husband and I went camping at the Trail of Tears State Forest in southern Illinois. I used to take my boys camping all the time when I was single. It was a great way to spend good quality time with them and a great way to teach them and myself to enjoy the simple things in life. Once I married my husband, who has 5 kids, we stopped camping. That was 15 years ago. I was shocked when on our last trip to South Dakota, Tim, my husband said he wanted to go camping! I was instantly on board. Within 2 weeks we had all the gear and a trip planned. No backing out of that one! LOL. Well the trip was a success. We battled all the camping nightmares like high temperatures and rain like champs. We ate like kings, cooking over our camp fire. Napping in a hammock is a MANDATORY! when camping. LOL Humongous Mushroom we saw while taking a walk one day. Check out the daddy long-legs on the bottom part of the mushroom.The forest is full of crazy things. We would sit by the fire at night watching the bats swoop out of the trees. I had forgotten about those. We woke up the first night to the coyotes howling and tons and tons of birds singing. We also heard an owl on our last night that sounded like he was very close. And here is the picture of the infamous Black Widow Spider. He had caught a wasp and was having him for lunch so he wasn't a threat to us. Plus I figure we are in his territory not the other way around so he didn't get squashed.

P.S. if you are looking for a great tent...the Instant Tent from Coleman is AWESOME! Sets up and takes down in a just a minute!

5 comments:

Carol W. July 5, 2011 at 9:07 AM  

Fun times! I love camping but right now it's just too hot in Texas! TFS

Cindy July 6, 2011 at 8:20 AM  

I started taking my oldest grandson camping when he was four. With a backpack he would walk for miles (hiking) but I couldn't get him to walk to the store in my neighborhood which was work.

Gloria Westerman July 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

How fun!!!! My DH and I camped when we are traveling...we rode our motorcycle from TN to Canada to PA back to TN....camping two nights then a hotel.....we were gone for three weeks....love it!!!!
I would have squashed the black widow...

Dana Weaver Moore July 9, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

I am so glad to see you enjoy the finer things in life - Just like my hubby and I. So simple and so wonderful! I love you more...

Lori Comeau July 15, 2011 at 5:54 AM  

Hi, I stopped over after receiving your invite on FB "Where Bloggers Create 2011". Your craft room is amazing and so organized. As I was scrolling down to check out your blog posts I had to laugh when I came to this one. My family camped when my kids were small. My daughter will be 26 in Oct and my son turned 24 in June. Both no longer live at home and have been gone for a few years now. So I'm an empty nester. After my kids stared driving camping was out. They no longer had any interest. We sold our pop-up and all of our camping gear. In the middle of June, I had a brain storm, I wanted to go camping again. I booked a campsite for the July 4th weekend at Hidden Acres in CT. I purchased a tent, blowup mattress and a portable gas grill. This was the first time in 9 years that we camped. Funny enough my daughter and her fiance came with us for the first night. I never thought I would camp again and now I have two more weekends reserved. Thanks for inviting me to your blog.
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

If you have a question please leave your email so I can respond, Thank You :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab My Button


Contact Me At

Archives

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected