Fishing For Compliments in the classroom

Pin It!


This was another project for my friend, Julie, that is a first grade teacher. She needed a reward chart for the kids when they are good. I came up with this idea. The fish are cut with the Animal Kingdom cartridge in white card stock. I then used the Distress Inks and inked each fish with a different blend of colors. When they were dry I embossed the numbers on them with white embossing powder and then used Stickles to add some shimmer and sparkle. I made the 25, 50, 75, and 100 fish in 1/4" larger sizes so that the 100 was the largest fish. The bowl was cut with the Animal Kingdom cart. also in white card stock and a layer of blue bubble patterned paper. I added a thin coat of glass bead gel over the white sections to add dimension and texture.
All of the lettering was cut using white card stock and the Alphalicious cartridge. I inked it while it was still on the cutting mat to give it the colorful look and to somewhat match the fish.


The way this chart works is every time the someone is kind or compliments, then the teacher places a fish numbered 1-25 in the bowl. The fish have velcro on the back and I placed velcro on the board. (clear in the fish bowl and black on the board) When they get to 25 the #25 fish gets hung from the pole and the fish move to the side again and they start over filling the bowl. This continues until they reach 100. When they get to their goal of 100 the teacher rewards them with a treat of her choice. Something like a pizza party or long recess. You can do this for your home too with chores or homework.


13 comments:

Joanne August 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

I'm a Kindergarten teacher and you do the cutest stuff. Your friend is so lucky to have you to do this for her classroom. Thanks for the great ideas that I can use in my sbooks and in my classroom!

Katy Lunsford August 5, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

Hi Christie, what a nice creation! You are awesome! I have a link to your site on my site - - http://createdbykaty.blogspot.com hope it's helping. All the Best, Katy

Dalis August 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

flippin' cute... love the idea of coloring them while they are still stuck to the mat.

- dalis

Netty August 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Fab, Annette

Ellis August 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

That's a great idea! =)
Hugs, Elenor

mshady August 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

Love your classroom ideas. Please keep sharing them. :)

Georgiana August 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

What a great idea! Your friend should really enjoy this! I like the different colors that you used on the fish.

Georgiana

inge August 6, 2010 at 3:46 AM  

Hello Christie,

really nice that you made this for your friend ! I'm sure the children will feel challenged to get fish in the bowl.
It's not useable for my handicapped children , but the daughter of my friend is a teacher too and I'm going to send her this link. Maybe she can use your idea...

what you made is not only practical, but you put a lot of work in coloring the fish and the letters so it looks really attractive !

greetings from belgium
Inge

♥ Ellen ♥ August 6, 2010 at 4:22 AM  

Hi Christie ...

I love the colors here and can definitely use the idea of inking while on the mat. I haven't tried the alcohol inks yet,though I now will.

Just one comment on this use in the classroom. I wondered why the rewards are for "being kind or complimenting" the TEACHER. I would rather reward the children for being kind to or complimenting ONE ANOTHER -- and that points are rewarded for those "random acts of kindness" that are witnessed and reported by one child about another. In return, the teacher feels good about the kids' behavior; otherwise, it will create a bunch of what we used to call "apple polishers" or "brown-nosers". Just a thought to help build a kinder community through the kids' classroom.

Just a thought on the use of this beautiful project. Thank you for your kindness in sharing it with us!

Best FISHES,
Ellen
www.cardmonkey-business.blogspot.com

Unknown August 6, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in the post. The kids are rewarded for being kind and complimenting anyone not just the teacher. It is expecially for the kids. My friend knows that all too well having been a teacher for 10 years she has had her share of bullies that is why she wanted a chart like this. Also the inks used were not alcohol inks but Distress inks applied with the foam applicator. Hope this helps.

Whitney Cantrell August 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

What a terrific idea! I am not a teacher, but I have 4 very active boys. I think that I could use a chart like this to reward them for complementing or being nice to each other. The tend to fight alot and this would be great!

Julie August 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Thanks again for helping me create my vision of "Fishing for Compliments!" I can't wait to use it in my classroom! I will use this as a whole class reward. Kids can earn points for random acts of kindnes during the day, or "caught being good." For example, if they all lined up quietly, they would earn a compliment and other teacher's can give the class compliments too. Just another idea to promote whole class cooperation and build a positive learning comunity. I LOVE that it sticks with my classroom theme too! Thanks chrisie!!! My teammates love the idea!

Darlene S. August 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM  

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

Post a Comment

If you have a question please leave your email so I can respond, Thank You :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab My Button


Contact Me At

Archives

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected