A $2 Transformation!

Pin It!

This weekend I had a show at the DuPage Expo.  Since I just started doing shows in October of last year I am still very much of a newbie.  
 I needed some new displays for this show so I created one out of an old lamp I found at the Goodwill for $2. 

I was looking for one with a strong wire shade and a decorative bottom, also the shade needed to be supported by a harp (the metal thingy instead of clamped on the light bulb).


I first stripped the shade of all it's stained fabric.  No need for that.  I sanded down where they had glued it to the metal frame. 

I Then whipped out my Claudine Hellmuth Studio Black Gesso Paint.  In ONE coat I covered the  base, the metal shade, and the harp!  Can you believe it only took ONE COAT! Love this stuff. 
 And I will let you in on a little secret.  The black gesso can double as chalk board paint :) 
 How cool is that!!!


Once dried I had the perfect place to clip some of my items on.  I love it!  I loved it so much the hardest part was cutting the cord on it.  I almost wanted to keep it as a lamp and not a display piece.


 I also made the boxes in this last photo the same way except I used cardboard boxes from my Project Life and painted them black.  When it was dry I created a thin wash using Espresso Paint Dabbers and water.  I adorned the fronts with Tim Holtz Ornate Plates

19 comments:

Alicia B February 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM  

What a beautiful display piece you created! I have to say your booth is stunning! *Hugs*

Joan M. Doyle February 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM  

So how did the show go? The displays are beautiful so I hope the show went well!

Adair February 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM  

You are so creative! Your displays are fabulous! I hope you had a successful show. I know I would have definitely been drawn to your booth!

Bunnyfreak February 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM  

Stunning displays. Thanks for the tip about the Gesso also working as a chalkboard paint.

Tana February 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM  

What a great idea! I'm getting into craft shows this year (I did a farmer's market last year and don't want the commitment of every weekend this year) so I've been looking for fun, cheap ideas. Side note - we have the same banner/business card. haha Don't you love Vista Print? :)

Bethan February 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM  

Brilliant idea!

judyjstamper February 6, 2012 at 12:20 PM  

A wonderful display idea Christie! and congrats and good luck on your new adventure. You are sure to do well!

Sherry Goodloe February 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM  

Great idea! Nice job

shari February 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

Christie, What a great idea, that would look great just sitting in a craft room with tags on it. Your booth is stunning, so classy with all the black. How did you do? Shari (cricutrookie)

Ibarra Creations 4U February 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM  

That is an absolutely genius idea!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Diane February 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM  

That is a huge transformation! It looks so different now! Thanks for sharing this. It is fun looking at it, and inspires me to think outside the box.

Trisha February 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM  

Wow! Very impressive, Christy! Great job with a great idea! Hope you did well at the show.

Charlotte February 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM  

Christie -- this idea is brilliant! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me and constantly inspires me. Thanks!

Charlotte
theartofquilling.com

Diane February 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM  

The lamps look really good like that. Very creative of you!! Your booth looks great too!! Hope you did well at the show and made it all worth it.

MsJay February 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM  

That is an Awesome idea!

Laura February 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM  

Wow....I can feel your sentiment about cutting that cord...but you can always replace it later on!
I can't quit see what you were selling. Still, an enormous amount of work there.

What was you're biggest seller?
Laura

Laura February 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM  

deepabyss100@hotmail.com
Laura

Unknown July 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM  

Wow! Great idea! I can see doing this and using some swivel clips to hang my stickers on! What a unique way to display!

Unknown July 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM  

Wow! Great idea! I can see doing this and using some swivel clips to hang my stickers on! What a unique way to display!

Post a Comment

If you have a question please leave your email so I can respond, Thank You :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab My Button


Contact Me At

Archives

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected