From Flat to Fab! New Technique to Add Dimension

Pin It!


I created these chic cards for Operation Write Home while I was camping this past weekend at Black Lake in Upper Wisconsin.  I was inspired by this little black and white butterfly that hung out with us the whole weekend in our campsite.  I punched the butterflies with the Martha Stewart punch using the gorgeous DCWV La Creme 4.5" X6.5" paper stack.  I glued down the centers with Glossy Accents and then realized that the card was BORING! as it had NO dimension.  As our campsite friend fluttered around I decided to make the wings on my butterflies stand up...but how?

If I just pushed them up they would flatten back down in the mail. Not an option.  I have seen others use glue dots that they crunch up into a ball to help hold the item in place but I have a few problems with that option: 1) the sticky is still exposed so everything sticks to it, as these cards will be sent overseas to the soldiers they could end up having sand , etc stuck to it before reaching their loved ones.
2) wadded up glue dots look like little bugger snots.  Ewww.  Enough said...
So, I had some brainstorming time and came up with a great idea!  Since Enamel Accents hold their shape after they dry I can put a drop of that under each wing, let dry and it should hold the wing up.  I only had to wait 2 days to give my experiment a try.  Well, it worked!!!  You can also use Dimensional Pearls or any other dimensional paint that you can dispense by the drop.  I created a video tutorial showing you exactly how to do it.  Enjoy!
The wonderful thing is you can barely see the dot so you get a professional looking
 card or project with long lasting dimension!



I added a bit of bling to the centers of each butterfly for a little extra sparkle!
This is a great any occasion card.
I got lots of questions on how the heck I could work on projects in the car???  I work in my lap with the help of my Scrap N Easel.  The magnets keep everything in place and keep stuff from sliding around when my hubby stops to fast or I set anything aside for a break.  I also have pictured some of the other stuff that I used in making this card. 

8 comments:

Bunnyfreak August 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

What a great tip. Love this card.

Jingle August 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

Your card is very pretty! I always do my butterflies like that because I love it when they look like they are flying!

Shelly Hickox August 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

Great tip - thanks!

AprilsL8 August 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

Great idea! Your video sound was very soft, though.

Sue in CT August 19, 2011 at 7:29 AM  

I would have never thought of that. I used the boggers and all the problems they have....ewwww. LOL. Way better solution you came up with, thanks.

Jennifer August 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

Hi Christie,

I love, love, love your adorable mini book!!! :) I know it's a lot of trouble and takes time, but I would love details to be able to duplicate it! What are the measurements? How do you make those flaps? How do you make the space for the hanging ornaments? What paper, stamps, etc. did you use?!

And how do you do it in the car?! Do you cut, score, glue? How much prep do you do in advance?

Thank you so much for sharing,

Jennifer
partridgelu at yahoo dot com

Jennifer August 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Christie,

What a clever idea to make the wings stand up!!! :) It's not a problem for hand-delivered cards, but I do always wish I was there to fluffen up the cards that I send through the mail! ;)

Thank you for sharing,

Jennifer
partridgelu at yahoo dot com

trisha too August 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM  

That IS adorable!!

:)

Post a Comment

If you have a question please leave your email so I can respond, Thank You :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Search This Blog

Grab My Button


Contact Me At

Archives

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected